This required experience completes the student’s work in the Community Medicine Program that began in the chosen site during the first year of medical school. The rotation enables the student to further integrate curricular components in Community Medicine, Basic Sciences, Medical Ethics, and Clinical Training in a community-based, ambulatory site. Under the supervision of the preceptor, the student will actively participate in community and clinical medicine in an environment that has become familiar by virtue of the previous rotations in the community. The student will participate fully with the preceptor in a wide variety of practice responsibilities in the office and/or community related settings.
- To complete a practice management project that evaluates the community as a potential practice or to complete a population health project of the student’s choosing
- Provide clinical care to community-based preceptor’s patients
- Continue the observation, analysis, and follow-up of two families
- Further develop the medical practice and community relationships established in the Year and Year 4 Visits
- To deliver a presentation in a community setting
Satisfactory completion (70%) of two family assessments and the community project is required. The preceptor’s evaluation of the student will include assessment in the following domains: professionalism, patient care, medical knowledge, practice-based improvement, communication skills, and systems-based practice. A satisfactory evaluation by the community-based preceptor will be required. Specific patient encounters related to community medicine will be required and documented in New Innovations.
Blackboard Online Course System
Blackboard is an online course system that supports supplementary learning tools environment. Instructors can share course materials (e.g., course syllabus, supplemental readings), post announcements, edit course calendars, track and calculate grades, or start online discussion boards using Blackboard. The Community Medicine program uses the Blackboard Online Course System for program curriculum.