Electives (Macon, Savannah, Columbus)
Electives are generally 2-4 weeks in length and are available in a variety of disciplines and locations. Students may choose electives which are:
- MUSM-sponsored electives
- Non-MUSM Electives – (outside electives; electives from other US/Canadian LCME medical education facilities).
- Foreign electives – (electives at a foreign medical education facility).
- Student-generated elective SGE – (an elective created with the aid of a preceptor and MUSM- sponsoring department to meet a specific educational need).
The student’s advisor and the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, the Year IV Program Director, or Assistant Program Director must approve all elective choices. Outside electives and student-generated electives require additional approvals by the 4th Year Subcommittee and the Curriculum Committee.
MUSM students may register for elective courses for their fourth year beginning in early March of their third year. The following timeline must be strictly adhered to when scheduling electives:
- MUSM electives – must be scheduled at least 4 weeks prior to the start of the elective.
- Non-MUSM Electives (Outside electives) – must be scheduled with all approvals at least 8 weeks prior to the start of the elective.
- Foreign electives – must be scheduled with all approvals at least 3 months prior to the start of the elective.
- Student-generated electives (SGE) – must be scheduled with all approvals at least 8 weeks prior to the start of the elective.
Students are required to complete a minimum of 16 weeks of elective courses for credit. At least eight (8) weeks of electives must be MUSM-sponsored electives.
Students must complete a minimum of 8 weeks of elective courses that have significant patient contact/patient care responsibilities (PCR). PCR is defined as over half of the elective time is spent in direct patient care. These are designated in the catalog as Patient Care Majority or PCR.
No more than eight (8) weeks of elective time may be taken (for credit) in any one subspecialty. Up to an additional four (4) weeks of approved elective time may be taken through the use of vacation time for a total of 12 weeks in any one subspecialty, and an overall total of 16 weeks of elective time. The course preceptor, student’s advisor and Associate Dean of Academic Affairs or Year IV Program Director or Assistant Program Director must approve all elective choices.