Admissions Criteria and Process
- Interested applicants must possess a Master's or terminal degree, have a GPA of 3.0 or higher in prior graduate/professional work, and have a clear dedication to rural health issues.
- While no specific major is required to gain admission, students who do not have a health-related degree or work experience may be required by the admissions committee to complete an online prerequisite course (RRL 801: Biological Basis of Disease) prior to beginning the program in Fall.
- To apply for admission into the program, applicants must submit a completed application form, a statement of purpose, a GRE score, a resume/CV, unofficial copies of all transcripts, and at least 3 letters of recommendation from faculty members or supervisors.
- The statement of purpose should be a 1000-word maximum response to the following prompt: "Please describe your interest in pursuing a career focused on rural health and how the PhD program will help you achieve your professional goals."
- Application materials, other than letters of recommendation, should be submitted by the applicant to Jina Lane’s attention at MUSMAdmissions@mercer.edu. Applicants should instruct their letter writers to digitally forward letters of recommendation directly to Jina Lane’s attention at MUSMAdmissions@mercer.edu.