Special Consideration Program (SCP): Pre-Medicine Track
Through a partnership with undergraduate programs offered on the Mercer University Macon campus, Mercer University School of Medicine (MUSM) offers a Special Consideration Program (SCP) for its Doctor of Medicine degree. Up to 18 incoming freshmen will be selected each year for this special program.
Eligibility Criteria to Apply to the Special Consideration Program (for entry in August 2019)
The applicant must:
- be a US Citizen or a US Permanent Resident;
- have continuously maintained status as a legal resident of the state of Georgia four years prior to matriculation to an undergraduate program at Mercer University.
- have been accepted into an undergraduate program (for matriculation in Fall 2019) at Mercer University
- have at least 2 confidential letters of reference* (at least one from science or math instructor at high school and at least one letter of character reference). *Letters of reference that were submitted for Mercer University application consideration and meet the necessary criteria may ALSO be utilized for SCP-Med process, contingent the applicant notifies their Admissions Counselor they wish to do so. If the applicant does not notify their Admissions Counselor, the letters will not be used.
SCP-Medicine Application and Instructions for Submission:
The application for entry in August 2019 consists of three parts. The application and two letters of recommendation should be submitted via your Mercer application using the instructions below.
- Log in to your Mercer Application account. (If you have not previously accessed your Mercer account or if you do not know your password, you will have an opportunity to reset the password when you are ready to log in.)
- After you log in, select View Application.
- In the left-hand orange column, select SCP Medicine Application.
- Follow the instructions on this page to upload your application and portfolio.
- After you have uploaded all of your documents, click Save. Take note that by clicking Save, you are officially submitting your Special Consideration Program Application.
Deadline for submitting complete applications including letters of reference: January 9, 2019
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Incoming college freshmen who have not gone through this application process before registering for freshman year are not eligible to apply to this program.
After a complete application is submitted by the deadline: Complete Applications submitted by the deadline are subject to screening by the M.D. Program Admissions Committee at MUSM before a decision to invite applicants to an interview is made. The Admissions Committee invites up to 40 applicants to an interview at Mercer University School of Medicine as a step toward further consideration.
Applicants invited to an interview will be notified by e-mail by the week of January 28, 2019.
Interview date & time: February 14, 2019 and February 15, 2019
Venue: Mercer University School of Medicine Macon Campus; 1550 College St, Macon, GA 31207. A successful interview at Mercer University School of Medicine is required for acceptance in to the Special Consideration Program in Medicine.
Timeline for Notification regarding acceptance decisions: Applicants that are accepted by the Admissions Committee into the Special Consideration Program will be notified by February 28, 2019. The Admissions Committee typically accepts an additional 10 applicants to an Alternate (Wait) List, and these applicants will also be notified by February 28, 2019.
*Eventual acceptance to the M.D. program at MUSM in August 2023 of a candidate accepted in 2019 into the Special Consideration Program - Pre-Medicine Track is contingent upon the applicant meeting the following requirements:
1. Matriculating in the undergraduate program to which the applicant has been accepted at Mercer University for Fall 2019, and meeting the requirements to graduate with a bachelor's degree from Mercer University within four years of matriculation.
2. Obtaining an undergraduate degree from Mercer University before matriculation into the MD program.
3. Completing all pre-medical course requirements at Mercer University's College of Liberal Arts. MUSM Admissions Office should receive official transcripts of all post-secondary college coursework from the institution(s) in which such work was undertaken by June 30, 2023.
4. Attending 80% of the meetings for SCP Students at MUSM. These meetings are held at MUSM Macon Campus and arranged by MUSM Admissions Office twice a year, and are intended to familiarize SCP-Medicine students with what MUSM has to offer.
5. Obtaining a cumulative grade point average and a cumulative BCPM (refers to biology, chemistry, physics and math*) grade point average of at least 3.0 at the end of Year 1 of undergraduate studies. This will be checked June 30, 2020. All GPA calculations are performed using the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) GPA formula (https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/applying-medical-school-process/applying-medical-school-amcas/).
6. Obtaining a cumulative grade point average and a cumulative BCPM grade point average of at least 3.25 at the end of Year 2 of undergraduate studies. This will be checked June 30, 2021.
7. Obtaining a cumulative grade point average and a cumulative BCPM grade point average of at least 3.5 at the end of Year 3 of undergraduate studies. This will be checked June 30, 2022.
8. Documenting at least 100 hours of volunteer work consistent with Mercer University School of Medicine's mission during your first three years of undergraduate studies. This should be documented in the Primary AMCAS Application and supported by letters of recommendation.
9. Achieving an overall percentile rank of 66 or better on the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT).
10. Achieving a percentile rank of at least 50 in the Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems section of the same MCAT.
11. Submitting a complete application by the deadline to the Early Decision Program in August 2022 (for admission into the M.D. program at Mercer University School of Medicine in August 2023). Anticipated application deadline: August 1, 2022.
12. No history of institutional action against the applicant during his/her studies at Mercer University.
13. Positive letter of evaluation from Mercer University Health Vocations Advisement Committee.
14. MUSM's receipt of verified application data from AMCAS consistent with that submitted by the applicant at the time of a Primary AMCAS Application for that M.D Admissions Cycle.
15. MUSM's receipt of an acceptable Criminal Background Check following initial acceptance into the M.D. program.
16. Meeting Technical Standards for Admission to the M.D. Program at Mercer University School of Medicine.
* Please be aware that the Admissions Committee of MUSM reviews admissions criteria for its various programs including the MD program from time to time. MUSM reserves the right to amend criteria for eventual acceptance, but students in the SCP program will be notified reasonably in advance of any changes that may apply to their application to the MD program at MUSM.
Note: If the SCP applicant meets criteria 1-13 above, then a subsequent interview at the time of submitting an application to the M.D. program at MUSM in August 2022 is waived. If the applicant does not meet any of the above criteria or applies to the MD program as a 'Regular Pool' applicant, an interview is not waived at the time of applying to the MD program. Also in this case, an interview is required but is not guaranteed, and such an applicant will be reviewed as any traditional applicant to the M.D. program applying during the senior year of undergraduate studies.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Is the SCP the same as the Guaranteed Admissions Program you previously had?
Yes, the Special Consideration Program was formerly called Guaranteed Admissions Program.
2. I have been accepted into the Special Consideration Program in Medicine at Mercer University School of Medicine. Am I required to eventually apply to the M.D program at Mercer University School of Medicine in August 2023?
No, students in the SCP in Medicine are not obligated to apply to the M.D. program at MUSM. They are not restricted from applying to other schools or to other programs. Some SCP students also change career plans.
3. I am an SCP student in Medicine good standing at Mercer University but would an interview be waived if I applied as a Regular Pool applicant instead of to the Early Decision Program?
For an interview to be waived at the time of applying to the M.D. program, SCP students are required to apply to the Early Decision Program at Mercer University School of Medicine.
4. "I am an SCP-Medicine student and have completed 3 years of undergrad at Mercer University with a cumulative science GPA of 3.6, but my total MCAT score was a percentile rank of 60. Am I still eligible to apply to the MD program at MUSM?
Yes, SCP-Medicine students that do not meet the GPA or MCAT criteria noted above may still apply to the MD program at MUSM but in this case their application will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee just as other traditional applicants to the MD program are reviewed, and an interview is not waived.
5. I applied to the SCP-Medicine program at Mercer University but did not get accepted. Can I still apply to the MD program at MUSM?
Yes. Please note eligibility criteria for applying to the MD program at MUSM here.
6. I am a SCP Medicine student at Mercer University. How do I document the 100 hours of volunteer work required?
At the time of submitting your Primary AMCAS Application, you will have the opportunity to document your work and service experiences. The Primary AMCAS Application will allow inclusion of the name of the Experience, the organization, the supervisor, the supervisor's contact information, and allow the applicant to describe the experience and its impact on the applicant. Additionally, we require at least 2 letters of evaluation from physicians or members of the health profession in reference to the volunteer experiences documented by the applicant in the Primary AMCAS Application.
Contact at Mercer Undergraduate Admissions Office for applicants to SCP-Medicine: Jena Palmer, Associate Director, 1501 Mercer University Drive, Macon, GA 31207; Ph: (478)-301-2316; firstname.lastname@example.org
However, if you have specific questions about contingencies for eventual acceptance not addressed on this page, please contact email@example.com or (478)-301-5425 at Mercer University School of Medicine. Please use Special Consideration Program in Pre-Medicine in the Subject Line in e-mail inquiries with firstname.lastname@example.org