How to be a Successful Medical School Applicant?
Mercer University School of Medicine (MUSM) Admissions Office invites motivated, economically or educationally disadvantaged students or who self-identify as Black/African-American or Hispanic, who plan to apply to a M.D. program in the fall of 2018 to medical schools in the state of Georgia, and who are looking for ways to strengthen their application to apply to the course - How to be a successful medical school applicant?. Eligibility criteria for applying are listed below. During this course, participants will complete their primary AMCAS application including writing the personal statement, practice interviewing with an admissions committee member at MUSM, and have a MUSM medical student mentor them as they complete their application.
Course Dates and Time (for June 2018): TBA
Venue: Mercer University School of Medicine Macon Campus, 1550 College St, Macon, GA, 31207.
Eligibility Criteria for applying to the M.D. program at MUSM are here.
To be eligible to apply for this Summer Prep Course, an individual must:
- be a US Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident
- have established and maintained domicile in the state of GA for at least 12 months immediately preceding the date of the course.
- must have already obtained an undergraduate degree or a more advanced degree from an accredited college or university, and have completed pre-medical pre-requisites.
- have taken the MCAT at least once on or after April 2015 and report official scores, or provide documentation of having taken the MCAT by June 17, 2017.*
- have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 (this includes post-baccalaureate course grades). If an applicant has a Cumulative Undergraduate GPA of less than 3.0, then they must have earned a graduate degree, and a graduate GPA of > 3.4 to be eligible to apply.
* For those who have taken the MCAT by the time of submitting an application, the average MCAT percentile rank must be at least 27 [scores obtained from MCATs taken on or after Jan 1, 2014 will be averaged for the purpose of calculating an average MCAT percentile rank).
Individuals that identify as Black/African-American or Hispanic or as educationally and economically disadvantaged that meet the above eligibility criteria and have decided to apply to M.D. programs in the state of Georgia in 2017 are strongly encouraged to apply. If you are interested in applying, please first contact firstname.lastname@example.org by April 15, 2018.
Before initiating an application, please read Eligibility Criteria above, and Instructions for filling in applications carefully.
Electronic copies of completed applications are due May 20, 2018 and should be e-mailed to email@example.com (Subject Line: How to be a successful medical school applicant course). Additionally, a photocopy of a state issued photo identification document, and an official transcript of all post-secondary coursework are required for the application to be considered complete, and these materials should be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
School of Medicine Admissions Office
1501 Mercer University Dr, Macon, GA 31207.
Once a complete application is received along with official transcripts, an acknowledgment will be sent by e-mail. Phone interviews may be conducted. Applicants accepted to the course will be notified by June 1, 2018. The number of available spots is limited, and completed applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Are applicants attending this summer prep course automatically granted an interview if they apply to the M.D. program at MUSM?
No; an interview at MUSM is not guaranteed; applicants are subject to the same review process as other applicants to the MD program that do not attend this course.
2. Are applicants attending this Summer Prep Course automatically invited to submit a Secondary Application for the M.D. program?
No - applicants are screened just like other applicants to the MD program at MUSM. Please visit this link for criteria used by the admissions committee to screen applicants before invitations to submit a Secondary Application is sent.
3. How many of those that participated in the Summer Prep Course in the summer of 2014 matriculated in the M.D. program at MUSM?
1 out of 4 participants.