Hamza Awad, M.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Community Medicine
Assistant Professor, Internal Medicine
Office phone: 478-301-5547
Location: Room 2032, Community Medicine, Mercer University School of Medicine, 1550 College Street, Macon, GA 31207
University of Massachusetts Medical School, PhD, Clinical and Population Health Research/ Clinical Epidemiology
Cairo University Faculty of Medicine, MD
Georgia State University, MS, Biotechnology
My doctoral degree is in Clinical and Population Health Research with a focus on Clinical Epidemiology. My research interests include cardiovascular diseases and outcomes research. My interests focus on studying risk factors, best management practices and temporal trends in patient outcomes. I have been actively involved in the past years in large international as well as community-based studies of the natural history, primary and secondary prevention of coronary heart disease, heart failure, and atrial fibrillation.
I have also been involved in a number of projects with different clinical departments including Internal Medicine, Surgery and Orthopedics.
Current Research Grants
- Systematic Assessment of Geriatric Elements in Atrial Fibrillation (SAGE-AF) study. Co-Investigator. NIH/NHLBI.
- The Transitions, Risks, and Actions in Coronary Events Center for Outcomes Research and Education (TRACE-CORE). Co-Investigator. NIH/NHLBI.
- Awad HH, Tisminetzky M, Metry D, McManus D, Yarzebski J, Gore JM, Goldberg RJ. (2016) Magnitude, treatment, and impact of diabetes mellitus in patients hospitalized with non-ST segment elevationmyocardial infarction: A community-based study. Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2016 Jan;13(1):13-20.
- Tisminetzky M, Gurwitz J, McManus DD, Saczynski JS, Erskine N, Waring ME, Anatchkova M, Awad H, Parish DC, Lessard D, Kiefe C, Goldberg R. (2015) Multiple Chronic Conditions and Psychosocial Limitations in Patients Hospitalized with an Acute Coronary Syndrome. Am J Med. 2015 Dec 20. pii: S0002-9343(15)30028-0
- Awad HH, McManus DD, Anderson Jr FA, Gore JM, Goldberg RJ. (2014) Young patients hospitalized with an acute coronary syndrome. Coronary Artery Dis. 2014 Jan;24(1):54-60.
- Alonso A, Gore JM, Awad HH, Quill AL, Montalescot G, Van de Werf F, Gulba DC, Fox KAA, Eagle KA, Granger CB, Wyman A, Steg PG, for the GRACE Investigators. (2013) Management and outcomes of patients presenting with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction by use of chronic oral anticoagulation: results from the GRACE registry. Eur Heart J Acute CV Care. Eur Heart J Acute Cardiovasc Care. 2013 Sep; 2(3): 280–291.
- Awad HH, Anderson FA Jr, Gore JM, Goodman SG, Goldberg RJ. (2012) Cardiogenic shock complicating acute coronary syndromes: Insights from the Global Registry of Acute Coronary Events. Am Heart J. 2012 Jun;163(6):963-71
- Awad HH, Zubaid M, Alsheikh-Ali AA, Suwaidi JA, Anderson Jr FA, Gore JM, Goldberg RJ. (2011) Comparison of characteristics, management practices, and outcomes of patients between the Global Registry and the Gulf Registry of acute coronary events. Am J Cardiol. 2011 Nov 1;108(9):1252-8.