Jacob C. Warren, Ph.D., M.B.A.
Rufus C. Harris Endowed Chair
Director, Center for Rural Health and Health Disparities
Associate Professor, Community Medicine
Office Telephone: (478) 301-2884
Location: 645 First St, Macon, GA 31201
University of Miami School of Medicine, Ph.D., Epidemiology
Georgia Southern University, M.B.A.
Georgia Southern University, B.S., Biology
Georgia Southern University, B.S., Mathematics
My research focuses on creating novel methods for eliminating health disparities and achieving health equity in underserved and vulnerable populations, with a history of work focused on rural, Hispanic, African-American, and LGBT populations. Outcomes of interest include diabetes, hypertension, obesity, HIV, substance use, risk-taking behavior, and bullying. As a behavioral epidemiologist, my work focuses on developing and testing scalable interventions, designing and implementing population-level health promotion initiatives, and building and sustaining community-academic partnerships to address health disparities issues. I am also heavily involved in health disparities mentoring, training, and outreach initiatives. My work has been supported by more than $18 million in funding from NIH, HRSA, CDC, CNCS, and other agencies.
Current Research Grants
PI, Establishing a Center of Excellence on Health Disparities in Rural Populations (P20MD006901; joint PI Dr. Bryant Smalley), National Institutes of Health – National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities
American Public Health Association
National Rural Health Association
National Council of University Research Administrators
Recent National Awards
Researcher of the Year, 2016, National Rural Health Association
- Warren, J.C. & Smalley, K.B. (eds.). (2014). Rural Public Health: Best Practices and Preventive Models. New York: Springer Publishing Company.
- Warren, J.C. & Smalley, K.B. (2013). Always the Fat Kid: The Truth about the Enduring Effects of Childhood Obesity. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Smalley, K.B., Warren, J.C., & Rainer, J.P. (eds.). (2012). Rural Mental Health: Issues, Policies, and Best Practices. New York: Springer Publishing Company.
- Warren, J.C., Smalley, K.B., & Barefoot, K.N. (in press). Recent alcohol, tobacco, and substance use variations between rural and urban middle and high school students. Journal of Child and Adolescent Substance Abuse.
- Smalley, K.B., Warren, J.C., & Morrissey, B.D. (in press). Discrepancy between actual and perceived weight status in rural patients: Variations by race and gender. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved.
- Smalley, K.B., Warren, J.C., & Barefoot, K.N. (in press). Connection between bullying and risky behaviors in middle and high school students. School Mental Health.
- Barefoot, K.N., Warren, J.C. & Smalley, K.B. (in press). Women’s healthcare: The experiences and behaviors of rural and urban lesbians in the US. Rural and Remote Health.
- Barefoot, K.N., Smalley, K.B. & Warren, J.C. (in press). A quantitative comparison of the healthcare disclosure experiences of rural and non-rural lesbians. Stigma and Health.
- Warren, J.C., Smalley, K.B., & Barefoot, K.N. (2016). Differences in psychosocial predictors of obesity among LGBT subgroups. LGBT Health, 3(4), 283-291.
- Warren, J.C., Smalley, K.B. & Barefoot, K.N. (2016). Higher motivation for weight loss in African American than Caucasian rural patients with hypertension and/or diabetes. Ethnicity and Disease, 26(1), 67-74.
- Warren, J.C., Smalley, K.B. & Barefoot, K.N. (2016). Rural/urban differences in health risk behaviors among gender and sexual minorities. Health Behavior and Policy Review, 3(1), 43-53.
- Warren, J.C., Smalley, K.B., & Barefoot, K.N. (2016). Psychological wellbeing among transgender and genderqueer individuals. International Journal of Transgenderism, 17(3-4), 114-123.
- Smalley, K.B., Warren, J.C., & Barefoot, K.N. (2016). Differences in health risk behaviors across understudied LGBT subgroups. Health Psychology, 35(2), 103-114.
- Smalley, K.B., Warren, J.C., & Barefoot, K.N. (2016). Connection between depressive symptoms and inability to afford prescriptions in rural patients. Journal of Rural Mental Health, 40(2), 113-123.
- Smalley, K.B., Warren, J.C., & Barefoot, K.N. (2016). Variations in psychological distress between gender and sexual minority groups. Journal of Gay and Lesbian Mental Health, 20(2), 99-115.
- Smalley, K.B., Warren, J.C., McClendon, S., Caro, M., & Peacock, W. (2016). Ethnic identity attachment and motivation for weight loss and exercise among rural, overweight, African-American women. Clinical Medicine Insights: Women’s Health, 9(S1), 95-101.
- Tarasenko, Y.N., Chen, C., Smalley, K.B. & Warren, J.C. (2016). Rural-urban differences in perceptions of child overweight among children and adolescents, their guardians, and health care professionals in the US. Journal of Rural Health, 32(1), 63-71.