Randolph Devereaux, M.S.P.H., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Community Medicine
Assistant Director, Community Preceptor Network
Assistant Director, Community Medicine Program
Course Director, Community Medicine Program, Year 1 & 2
Office phone: 478-301-4081
Location: Department of Community Medicine (Second Floor), Mercer University School of Medicine, 1550 College Street, Macon, GA 31207
Associate of Science, Business Administration, Macon State College
Bachelors of Arts, Psychology, University of Georgia
Masters of Science in Public Health (M.S.P.H.), Health Promotion, University of South Carolina, Norman J. Arnold School of Public Health
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Health Education/Health Promotion/Health Behaviors, University of Alabama at Birmingham, School of Public Health
Over the last 15 years, I have been interested in the development, implementation and evaluation of health education and health promotion interventions, particularly in the areas of HIV/AIDS, STIs, and teen pregnancy prevention in rural and medically underserved areas of Georgia. I have also participated in the development and evaluation of web-based interventions and have an emerging interests in mHealth. Some of my work includes the intersection between clinical and health education research including the topic areas of medication adherence and social support among patients with acute coronary syndrome and/or heart failure. The link between community concepts such as sense of community, social capital, and social support and mental and physical health are also areas of major interests. I also enjoy contributing to the research of others by offering statistical, design, and operational support.
Summer Scholars Program, 2011-2015 (9 M.D. Student Scholars)
Faculty Advisor, HealthStat Chapter
Professional Honor Societies
Delta Omega Society, Elected in 2001
American Heart Association
Georgia Public Health Association
Society for Public Health Education
Georgia Society for Public Health Education (SOPHE)
Community Participation and Service
Board of Directors, Middle Georgia AIDS Network (MGAN), Macon, GA
Board of Directors, Community Partnership, Macon, GA
Current Teaching Activities (M.D. Program)
Course Director/Phase Coordinator, Community Medicine Curriculum Year 1 & 2
Tutor, Population Health Course (Year 1)
Tutor, Evidence-based Medicine/Epidemiology/Biostatistics Course (Year 2)
- ACTIVE: Devereaux, R, Parish, DC, Goyal, Ghali X. Role: Principal Investigator. Reasons for Medication Adherence and Non-Adherence among Patients Participating in the TRACE-CORE Study at MCCG: A Qualitative Study. Sponsor: Medcen Foundation.
- ACTIVE: Goyal H, Devereaux RS, Parish DC, Singla U. Medical Students Awareness and Prevalence of Potentially Illegal Questions during Residency Interviews: An Online Survey of 4th Year Mercer University Medical Students. Role: Co-Investigator – I helped write 50% of the grant and mentored Dr. Goyal in its development. Sponsor: Medcen Foundation..
- ACTIVE: Dasher WB, Jeshuran WR, Kelley W, Eberson C, Beckish M, Devereaux, RS, Awad H, Odum C. Evaluation of the Providence Nightime Brace for the Treatment of Adolescence Idiopathic Scoliosis. Role: Investigator. Sponsor: Medcen
- COMPLETED: Kiefe CI (Overall PI, UMASS, Worcester MA), Local Investigators: Parish, DC (Site PI), Devereaux RS (Faculty Investigator), Awad H (Faculty Investigator). Transitions, Risks, and Actions in Coronary Events—Center for Outcomes Research and Education (TRACE-CORE), Role: Faculty Investigator and Local Operations Director. Sponsor: National Institutes of Health/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- COMPLETED: Devereaux, RS. Role: Principal Investigator. Neighborhood Sense of Community in the Village Green Shalom Zone Neighborhood in Macon, GA: A pilot study to inform future community-based participatory programming and research. Sponsor: The Office of the Provost, Mercer University.
Publications (Last 4 Years)
- Smith MU, Snyder SW, Devereaux RS. The GAENE—Generalized Acceptance of Evolution Evaluation: Development of a new measure of evolution acceptance. Submitted to the Journal of Research in Science Teaching (Accepted 2016).
- Albert B, Lee A, McLendon T, Devereaux, RS, Odum C & Foulks G (In Press). Is total elbow arthroplasty safe as an outpatient procedure? In press at the Journal of Surgical Orthopaedic Advances. (Accepted 2016)
- Patel D, Devereaux RS, Teaford G, Dane FC, Parish, DC, Waring ME, Kiefe, CI. Medication Adherence Improves Shortly After Acute Coronary Syndrome Admission and Then Declines Over One Year: Findings from TRACE-CORE (April 2015). Abstract published in Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes. 2015; 8: A159.
- Martin RJ, Cremeens J, Usdan, S., Devereaux R., Reddy S., & Schumacher, J. (2014)). Development and computerized implementation of an impaired driving assessment for college students. American Journal of Health Studies, 29(2), 7-12).
- Bolland, K.A, Bolland, J.M., Tomek, S., Devereaux, R.S., Mrug, S., & Wimberly, J.C. (2013) Trajectories of adolescent alcohol use by gender and early initiation status. Youth & Society. doi: 10.1177/0044118X13475639.
- Waring ME, McManus RH, Saczynski JS, Anatchkova MD, McManus DD, Devereaux RS, Goldberg RJ, Allison JJ, Kiefe CI; TRACE-CORE Investigators. Transitions, Risks, and Actions in Coronary Events—Center for Outcomes Research and Education (TRACE-CORE): Design and Rationale. Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes. 2012; 5: e44-e50 doi: 10.1161/CIRCOUTCOMES.112.965418