Preclinical Sciences, M.S.
Our Master of Science in Preclinical Sciences (MSPCS) Program is structured to provide students with a solid foundation in the biomedical sciences and the study skills necessary for success in postgraduate studies at the doctoral level in medicine (MD and DO), dental medicine (DMD), physician assistant (PA) or in basic and applied/translational research (PhD).
The MSPCS program does more than offer a strong foundation in biomedical science knowledge, it also develops vital critical thinking skills in the application of that knowledge. The rigorous coursework and capstone experience challenge our students’ thinking about and communication of biomedical sciences, making them particularly prepared to take on advanced medical studies. In fact, a majority of MSPCS graduates have entered advanced degree programs in the health professions and over 40% who are Georgia residents have been accepted to Mercer’s MD program.
In the MSPCS program, students have the opportunity to:
- Gain mastery of biomedical sciences foundational to the practice of medicine
- Learn in a rigorous academic environment similar to medical school
- Get to know Mercer’s medical school faculty and staff
- Improve academic credentials for a more competitive application
Virtual Information Sessions
The MSPCS program director hosts seasonal virtual information sessions. Join us for a 30-minute Zoom call to learn how our program will provide you with the tools to succeed in a clinical career. Sign up for an upcoming session below.
- Small class sizes. MSPCS students benefit from a small faculty-to-student ratio, allowing them access to their professors for academic support and professional guidance. The small class sizes also produce an atmosphere of
cooperation and encouragement that is essential to working in a clinical setting.
- Medical school setting. Students interested in pursuing a medical degree have the advantage of access to the same resources as MD students and exposure to the climate of medical education. MS students intermingle with MD students in social events, community service, interest groups, and throughout campus life.
- Top-notch faculty. The same expert faculty teach both medical and graduate students and are committed to providing students the highest-quality educational experience through student-centered instruction.
- Macon campus. The MSPCS program is available on the beautiful, historic Macon campus. From academics to student life to athletics, students have access to it all in Macon.