Academic Clinical Partners
Faculty Clinical Component
Mercer Medicine is the multi-specialty physician practice and clinical component of the Mercer University School of Medicine through which faculty physicians provide advanced primary, as well as specialized care to patients throughout Central Georgia using the latest health care innovations, treatments and procedures while supporting a clinical learning environment for medical students and residents. Board Certified Internal and Family Medicine physicians specialize in cardiology, critical care medicine, endocrinology, infectious disease, nephrology, palliative care, psychiatry and behavioral science, pulmonology, rheumatology and sports medicine. Mercer Medicine currently employs more than 80 full-time faculty physicians, nurse clinicians, and support staff at clinic locations in Macon, Georgia.
Primary Teaching Hospitals
The partnership of The Medical Center of Central Georgia (MCCG) and the Mercer University School of Medicine (MUSM), which began with the construction of MUSM in 1982, has led to a pattern of excellence in graduate medical education. The MUSM Educational Center at MCCG, constructed in 1982, provides space for medical education activities, and contains the Office of the MUSM Associate Dean for Graduate and Continuing Medical Education/MCCG Director of Medical Education. For coordination between MCCG and MUSM, the MCCG Medical Director also serves as MUSM Senior Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs. With this degree of cooperation, a strong university medical center environment has been established that has benefited medical students, residency programs and the MUSM faculty, both clinical and basic science.
Memorial Health serves as a teaching hospital for Mercer University School of Medicine. Approximately one-third of the junior and senior classes are based in Savannah and complete their entire clinical curriculum at the Savannah campus. Memorial Health remains the sponsoring institution for the residency program officially called the "Mercer University School of Medicine (Savannah) Program.
The Medical Center is part of Columbus Regional Healthcare System, a not-for-profit organization providing health, medical and educational services to west Georgia and east Alabama. Columbus Regional has three acute care hospitals – The Medical Center, Doctors Hospital and Hughston Hospital in Columbus. The system also includes the John B. Amos Cancer Center and other facilities offering specialized care across the life span.
The Medical Center offers the region’s only advanced maternity services and neonatal intensive care unit, a dedicated pediatric center and pediatric intensive care unit, a dedicated trauma center and emergency services for children and adults. Since 1972, The Medical Center has been home to the Family Practice Residency Program, the first such program established in Georgia and one of the earliest in the Southeast. In addition, a comprehensive women and children’s center is in development to serve a diverse and growing population.
St. Francis Hospital is a 376-bed, faith-based, not-for-profit hospital in Columbus, Ga. Founded by a diverse group of community leaders in 1950, St. Francis is the area’s only hospital offering open heart surgery. The hospital also offers a full range of inpatient, outpatient and emergency room services, from cardiac catheterization at the Patrick Heart Institute, mammography at the Elena Diaz-Verson Amos Center for Breast Health and behavioral health services at The Bradley Center to orthopaedics at the St. Francis Orthopaedic Institute and treatment for digestive diseases at the Center for Digestive Disorders. With more than 1,900 employees, 300 physicians and the latest technology, St. Francis’ overriding goal is to provide consumers with world-class health care.
Affiliated Teaching Hospitals
Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital
417 Third Avenue
Albany, Georgia 31701
Phone: (229) 312-1000
The Medical Center
Family Practice Center
The Medical Center
1900 10th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31902