Brian Childs, PhD
- BA, Philosophy, Maryville College
- MDiv, Princeton Theological Seminary
- ThM, Philosophy, Princeton Theological Seminary
- PhD, Ethics and Moral Psychology, Princeton Theological Seminary
- Certificate, Family Therapy, Nathan Ackerman Family Institute
- Fellow, National Endowment for the Humanities, Institute for Medicine and the Humanities
Dr. Childs’ research interests have included: clinical medical ethics, organ transplantation ethics, professional ethics, theological ethics, literature, medicine, and the medical humanities.
- Childs, B.H. & Patton, J.H. (1987) Caring For Our Generations, . Nashville: Abingdon Press. (Translated into German and Korean)
- Childs, B.H. & Waanders, D. (1994)The Treasure of Earthen Vessels, Explorations in Theological Anthropology Louisville: Westminster/John Knox Press.
- Childs, B.H. & Allman, R. (1996)The Woman Who Was Not Herself: Moral Response to Insurance Fraud,, Hospital Ethics Committee Forum, Vol. 8, No. 1
- Childs, B.H., Ehleben, C., Saltzman, S. (1998)What, Exactly Is It That You Do?: A Month in the Life of a Medical Ethicist with Carole Ehleben and Steven Saltzman in Hospital Ethics Committee Forum, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 71-74.
- Childs, B.H. (1999) Advance Directives as Preventative Medicine: A Residency Based Education Initiative, Hospital Ethics Committee Forum, Vol. 11, No. 4.
- Childs, B.H. (Ed) (2000) Organizational Ethics, Corporate Compliance, and Clinical Ethics: Promises and Problems, Issue Editor, Special Edition, Healthcare Ethics Committee Forum,
- Childs, B.H. et al (1996) In Life and Death We Belong to God: Assisted Suicide, Euthanasia, and End of Life Issues, Louisville: General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (USA), 1996.
- Childs, B.H. (2009) Incidental Information in Compatibility Testing For Live Kidney Donation: Non-Paternity Shall It Be Disclosed? Mid-Atlantic Ethics Committee Newsletter, Spring 2009.
- Childs, B.H. (2010) (Ed) Clinical Ethics Consultation: Is It A Profession Of It‚Äôs Own? Issue Editor (Two Issues) Healthcare Ethics Committee Forum, (October 2009, Vol. 21. No. 3 and January 2010 Vol. 22. No. 1).
- Childs, B.H. & Rizvi, N. (Eds) (2020)The Trials of Undergraduate Medical Education in Ethics: ConfrontingThe Hidden Curriculum. Issue Editor Healthcare Ethics Committee Forum (Springer) Vol 32 No 2.
- A History of the COVID Plague Year Issue Editor, “Healthcare Ethics Committee Forum” (Springer) Vol. 32 No. 2 2021.
- Editor, HealthCare Systems News, “Healthcare Ethics Committee Forum,” 1999-present.
- Certified Clinical Healthcare Ethics Consultant (HEC-C)
- American Society for Bioethics and the Humanities
- American Society of Law, Medicine and Ethics
- Co-Chair, Clinical Board of Directors, Living Legacy Foundation of Maryland (OPO)
- Diplomate, College of Pastoral Supervision and Psychotherapy
- Fellow, American Orthopsychiatric Association
- Fellow, Institute for Medicine and the Humanities, National Endowment for the Humanities
- Member, Ethics Committee, Association of Organ Procurement Organizations