Information for Applicants applying to transfer to Year 3 of the MD Program at MUSM
The acceptance of transfers to Year 3 of the M.D. program is limited to students who demonstrate compelling circumstances as one of the reasons for their request for transfer. For applicants that are eligible to apply (see Eligibility Criteria below) the Admissions Committee looks at each application holistically with a specific focus on prospective and previous commitment to our mission, at the level of screening and at the level of interview. The number of spots available per year averages about 3 (an estimate based on the past 3 years).
Applications for entry into Year 3 in July 2017 are closed.
Estimated number of spots for entry in July 2018: 3 (based in Macon/Columbus Campus; see FAQ # 9 and 10 below.)
Number accepted for transfer into Year 3 in 2015: 3 (complete applications received 7)
Number accepted for transfer into Year 3 in 2016: 3 (complete applications received 7)
Eligibility to Apply:
- Applicants should have obtained an undergraduate degree or a more advanced degree with a minimum of 90 credit hours of coursework or be on track to completing an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university by June of the intended year of matriculation.
- Applicants must have completed the first 2 years of the M.D. program or be on track to completing the second year of the M.D. program in an accredited medical school by June of the intended year of matriculation.
- Applicants must be US citizens or legal permanent residents of the US.
- The applicant must have established domicile in the state of Georgia by June 30, 2017, at least 12 months prior to the start of classes in July 2018, and be a legal resident of the state of Georgia at the time of submitting an application.
- Applicants must have passed USMLE Step 1 on the first attempt with a score of 225 or greater.
- Applicants who have taken Step 1 of the USMLE but have not received their score may apply. However, an offer of acceptance, if made, will be contingent upon MUSM's receipt of an official report of USMLE Step 1 score by June 30 of the intended year of matriculation, and the applicant securing an overall score of 225 or greater on this exam on the first attempt.
- Applicants must have taken the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) at least once and report scores obtained.
For applicants to whom a conditional offer of acceptance, please note contingencies for eventual acceptance (FAQ 9 in the page below).
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How should I apply?
If you meet eligibility criteria 1-4 above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with Transfer to Year 3 in the Subject Line, indicating the following in your e-mail: your full name, contact information (e-mail, phone, mailing address), name of the institution in which you completed the first 2 years of medical school or are currently enrolled, and indicate your reasons for wanting to transfer from your current school. Indicate your USMLE Step 1 score (if available), and all reported MCAT score(s).
2. Which is the application form to use?
3. How do I submit my application? What is the application fee and what is the deadline for submitting the application?
The Application Form is a Word document with fillable fields. Applicants should also complete the Declaration of Domicile in GA and have it notarized. Additionally, a photocopy of a state-issued photo identification document is required. Complete the application following the instructions therein and e-mail a copy to email@example.com. The e-mail and the hard copy of the application must be received by the admissions office by 5:00 PM ET on April 5, 2018. An official letter of evaluation from the applicant's current medical school is required (details below). An application will not be considered submitted unless we receive both an e-mail application and an identical signed copy, an official letter of evaluation from the deans of academic / student affairs from the applicant's current medical school, and an application fee of $75.00 made payable to Mercer University School of Medicine. The application fee will be waived for those who were granted Fee Assistance Program (FAP) waivers as part of their application to medical school. To obtain this waiver, please forward a copy of the FAP waiver you received from the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) to firstname.lastname@example.org and note in your e-mail that you are submitting an application for Transfer into Year 3 of the M.D. program at MUSM. Please include your full name, AAMC (AMCAS) ID and complete contact information in this correspondence.
4. Is a letter of evaluation required?
Applications for transfer should include an official transcript and an official letter of evaluation from the Dean / Associate Dean for Student Affairs or other appropriate official of the applicant's current school. The transcript should document the individual's entire academic history at the medical school, including notation of any leaves-of-absence, schedule modifications, and an explanation of the grading system. If any of these items are not included on the school's transcript, they should be included in the letter of evaluation. The letter of evaluation should state the eligibility (or expected eligibility) of the individual for promotion to the next academic year at the student's current school. The letter should address the academic and non-academic qualifications of the individual for the eventual practice of medicine. Specific comment should be included on any infractions of the school's code of ethical and behavioral conduct.
5. How many letters of evaluation required?
At least 2 letters of evaluation are required including a letter of evaluation from the deanery in the medical school the applicant is currently enrolled (or studied previously). The applicant needs to enter the name, contact information for the letter writer in the Application Form. The applicant is allowed to designate up to 5 letter writers in the Application Form. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that letters of evaluation are e-mailed directly by the letter writer to email@example.com by 5:00 PM ET April 5, 2018. Scanned copies of signed letters on official letterhead are acceptable. Otherwise, the e-mail should include complete contact information for the letter writer. Letters of evaluation forwarded by the applicant are not acceptable.
6. Can I withdraw my application?
The number of spots available for transfer, if any are available, will be posted on this website as soon as this information is available, and applicants who have submitted an application will also be informed via e-mail. An applicant may withdraw his/her application within 4 business days of being provided with this information. To withdraw your application, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating intent to withdraw and include complete contact information. If an applicant withdraws by the deadline, the check sent toward the application fee will be returned. If not, the application fee will not be refunded.
7. Are all applicants invited to an interview?
No. Applications completed by the deadline are screened by the Admissions Committee. An interview is not guaranteed.
8. When and where are interviews held?
Interview Dates: April 9 and 10, 2017. Interviews are typically conducted over the phone / Skype(R). Applicants are welcome to interview in person if they are in Georgia at the time of the interview.
9. What campus are those accepted to transfer to Year 3 assigned to?
We would like acceptees to plan to be assigned to any of the three campuses, wherever spots are available. A choice may not be available. If any of our current MS2 on the Macon and Savannah Campuses request a move to Columbus Campus prior to April 20, 2018, their request will be prioritized and this would then create a vacancy in the Macon/Savannah Campuses. At the time, a provisional offer of acceptance is made, the acceptee will be informed what the campus assignment will be.
10. What are initial offers of acceptance contingent upon?
An initial offer of acceptance, if made, is contingent upon the interviewed applicant meeting all of the following criteria:
- The applicant providing documentation that he/she is a US Citizen or US Permanent Resident.
- The applicant providing documentation of domicile in the state of GA at least 12 months prior to the start of classes. [Documentation of Domicile in the State of GA - Adobe PDF format].
- MUSM's receipt of official transcripts of all college coursework the acceptee has undertaken, directly from the respective institution(s), and official transcripts of completion of the first two academic years of medical school.
- MUSM's receipt of an official USMLE Step 1 score by June 30 of the expected year of matriculation, and the applicant securing score of 225 or greater on the first attempt.
- MUSM's receipt of an acceptable national Criminal Background Check on the applicant (accepted applicants will be required to authorize MUSM to procure one)
- The applicant meeting MUSM's Technical Standards for Admission to the M.D. program.
- The applicant accepting campus assignment.
11. Are applications for transfer into Year 2 or 4 of the M.D. program at MUSM accepted?