Linkage with Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program at Agnes Scott College
Through a partnership with the Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program at Agnes Scott College (ASC), Decatur, GA, Mercer University School of Medicine (MUSM) offers a Linkage Program for admission to the MD Program at MUSM.
To be eligible to apply, an applicant to this Linkage Program must:
- Be a US Citizen or US Permanent Resident
- Be a legal resident of the state of Georgia at the time of submitting the application
- Have earned a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited higher education institution with at least 90 credit hours of coursework
- Enroll in the ASC Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical program on a schedule that allows for completion of all prerequisite courses at ASC by the end of the following spring semester (i.e., by May of the intended year of matriculation.)
- Submit a Primary Application via AMCAS to Mercer University School of Medicine (Program Type: Early Assurance) by the deadline specified below.
- Have at least 2 letters of reference submitted via AMCAS Letter Writer Service. At least one of these letters must be from a science faculty member that taught this applicant in college.
First step in the application process: The applicant needs to be pre-approved by MUSM Admissions Office. Applicants currently enrolled in the Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program at Agnes Scott College that are interested in this linkage program are requested to contact the health professions counselor / coordinator at Agnes Scott College's Post-Baccalaurate program with the following information: Full Name, Date of Birth, contact e-mail address (that the applicant will use on the Primary AMCAS application), phone number (should be same as that in the AMCAS application). MUSM Admissions Office will pre-approve applicants; pre-approved applicants to this linkage program should select the Early Assurance Program (NOT 'Regular Pool') type when submitting their Primary AMCAS Application to MUSM. The deadline for submission of Primary AMCAS application and transcripts of prior undergraduate work is August 19, 2016 (for application for the 2017 AMCAS Application Year; i.e., 2016-17 admissions cycle). A Secondary Application will be invited by e-mail from all applicants that submit a complete Primary Application by the deadline. The deadline for completing Secondary Application online and submitting notarized declaration of GA residency is 5:00 PM ET September 26, 2016. The fee for submitting a Secondary Application is 90 US dollars.
Mercer University School of Medicine Admissions Committee screens applications before a decision to invite applicants to interview is made. Applicants with a good undergraduate record and who have not already taken any pre-requisities will be viewed as though they are academically qualified. An interview invitation cannot be guaranteed. If an applicant is invited to an interview, the applicant will be notified directly by e-mail by 5:00 PM September 30, 2016. Applicants that do not receive an invitation to interview by this time can assume they are no longer under consideration by the Admissions Committee for the 2016-17 application cycle.
Interview Date & Time: October 6, 2016 (tentative), MUSM - Macon Campus
At the time of the interview, applicants with a good undergraduate record (and those who already have not taken any pre-requisites) will be viewed as though they are academically qualified and the interview will focus on the applicant's work, volunteer and service experiences, personal characteristics, motivation to pursue medicine, goals, and long-term plans in reference to MUSM's mission. However, applicants may not be rated at the time of the interview as academically qualified if they have a sub-par undergraduate academic record, and have taken one or more of the pre-requisite courses as part of undergraduate coursework. MUSM will notify the applicant by October 20, 2016 if or not he/she has been offered conditional acceptance into the next incoming MD class at MUSM through this Linkage Program. Applicants the committee decides to not offer early assurance of acceptance will also be notified by October 20, 2016. Eventual acceptance is contingent upon the applicant:
- Maintaining a cumulative overall grade point average of 3.50 or greater (A = 4.00) at ASC with no individual grade of less than a "C" (a "C-" is less than a "C") in any course and without repeating any ASC courses; and
- Completing all prerequisite science courses required by MUSM: two (2) semesters each of General Chemistry (with lab), Organic Chemistry (with lab), Biology (with lab), and Physics (with lab).
- Completing all additional coursework required for admission to MUSM, if it was not completed as part of the bachelor's degree*; and
- Complete all ASC Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program requirements published in the most recent ASC catalog by May of the intended year of matriculation in the MD program
- Taking the MCAT only once in time to allow MUSM to receive MCAT scores no later than June 30 of the intended year of matriculation, and receiving a total percentile rank of 67 or better in this attempt.
- Receiving the endorsement of the applicant's candidacy to MUSM MD program by ASC's Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program
- Being able to meet the Technical Standards for Admission to the MD program as required by MUSM
- Completing and providing all necessary forms and documents required by MUSM to make its decision; and
- Passing the Criminal Background Check (facilitated by AMCAS, and undertaken by Certiphi Screening Inc.,).
Notes on Processing Site Preference Requests: Campus preference request will be processed only after applicants are fully accepted (available choices will most likely be either Macom Campus for the first 2 years and the Columbus campus for Years 3 and 4), or the Savannah Campus for Years 1 and 2 and the Columbus Campus for Years 3 and 4.
Application and Acceptance Statistics for applicants to this Linkage Program over the past 3 years:
2013-14 Admissions Cycle: Applications - 16; Conditional Acceptance - 7; Matriculated - 4
2014-15 Admissions Cycle: Applications - 4; Interviewed - 4; Conditional Acceptance - 1; Matriculated - 1
2015-16 Admissions Cycle: Applications - 7; Interviewed - 7; Conditional Acceptance - 5; Matriculated - TBA
For more information about the Linkage Program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with ASC Post-Baccalaureate Linkage Program in the Subject Line.