Mission of admissions process for the M.D. program
The overarching goal of the admissions process is to identify, attract and enroll qualified students who promise to graduate into caring and well-rounded physicians, committed to serving the primary care and healthcare needs of rural and medically underserved areas in Georgia.
Eligibility criteria for submitting an application to the M.D. program at MUSM
- The applicant must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident.
- The applicant must have established residency in the state of Georgia for at least 12 months prior to matriculation. Please see frequently asked questions for more information about Georgia residency requirements.
- Applicants should have obtained a bachelor’s degree or a more advanced degree or be on track to completing a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university by June of the intended year of matriculation.
- The applicant must have taken the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) at least once on or after April 1, 2017, and obtained a percentile ranking of at least 25. Only the highest MCAT score will be considered.
- The applicant must submit an online application through the American Medical College Application System (AMCAS). Primary applications can be submitted as soon as AMCAS allows it. The code for Mercer University School of Medicine is GA-832. Only primary applications that are initiated and submitted by the appropriate deadline via AMCAS are considered.
- Minimum course requirements: One year or two semester-hour laboratory courses in each of the following:
- General Biology
- General or Inorganic Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
A semester of Biochemistry with lab may be taken instead of a second semester of Organic Chemistry. AP credit may be used in place of one semester of the Physics requirement. If AP credit was received for one or more of the other courses listed above, one year of advanced courses with lab in the same discipline must be completed. All required courses must have the corresponding lab hours.
- The applicant must have taken the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) at least once on or after April 1, 2017, and obtained a percentile rank of at least 25. The applicant must have an MCAT Percentile Rank times his/her Cumulative Undergraduate BCPM-GPA greater than 93 in order to receive an invitation to submit a secondary application.
For applicants with earned graduate degrees or 20 or more hours of graduate coursework, an invitation to submit a secondary application is sent if the average MCAT percentile rank is 25 or greater, regardless of Cumulative Undergraduate BCPM-GPA.
- The applicant must complete the online assessment CASPer. Find out more about CASPer.
- The applicant must submit a minimum of two (2) letters of recommendation (or one committee letter). For more information on letters of recommendation, please visit the FAQs.
- Submission of a $90 application fee, declaration of domicile in the state of Georgia, state-issued photo ID, Required Premedical Course Form, and a photograph. These are submitted with the MUSM Secondary Application. (The fee is automatically waived for applicants who have a valid Fee Assistance Program waiver from AMCAS.)
Screening process for M.D. applications
The Admissions Committee uses a Holistic Review Process to screen applicants. Applicants are screened based on desire to practice primary care medicine in underserved, rural areas of Georgia, academic metrics, attributes and experiences.
Timeline for 2020-21 application cycle
Since completed applications are considered by the Admissions Committee on a rolling basis and the number of interview spots is limited, we encourage all applicants to complete their applications as early in the cycle as possible. Once applications are complete, applicants will receive an email acknowledgment from the Admissions Office that their file is complete and eligible for review by the Admissions Committee.
Early Decision Program
- TBD: Last day to take the CASPer Exam (CASPer has not released dates for next cycle yet).
- Aug. 1, 2020: Primary AMCAS Application and transcripts must be submitted to AMCAS.
- Aug. 24, 2020: MUSM Admissions Office must receive an applicant’s CASPer score, GPA and official MCAT score(s) by 5 p.m. EST for a Secondary Application Invitation for the Early Decision Program to be considered.
- Aug. 31, 2020: All Secondary Application components must be submitted by 5 p.m. EST.
- Aug. 25, 2020: Interviews begin.
- Sept. 24, 2020: Interviews end.
- Nov. 1, 2020: Primary Applications must be submitted to AMCAS.
- Nov. 15, 2020: Transcripts must be submitted to AMCAS.
- Dec. 14, 2020: MUSM Admissions Office must receive an applicant’s CASPer score and GPA and official MCAT score(s) verified on the Primary AMCAS Application.
- Jan. 13, 2021: All Secondary Application components must be submitted by 5 p.m. EST.
- Sept. 29, 2020: Interviews begin.
- TBD: Last day to take CASPer exam (CASPer has not released dates for next cycle yet)
- Feb. 4, 2021: Interviews end.
Note: Dates are subject to change.
Criteria for admission are reviewed by the Admissions Committee on an annual basis and any revisions will be published on this page reasonably in advance.