Jong-Hyuk Lee, PhD
- BS, Chungnam National University
- MS, Genetic Engineering, Seoul National University
- PhD, Biomedical Sciences, Seoul National University
- Postdoctoral Research Scientist, National Institute of Health, National institute on Aging
Dr. Lee’s research will focus on unravelling the causal factors of heterochromatin loss during normal aging and in premature aging disorders. He aims to find out if preventing epigenetic changes could prevent or reverse cellular and organismal aging and related disease development in humans. Dr. Lee’s research goals are to identify the molecular nature of the aging phenomena, to provide clues to answering these questions, and ultimately ensure a happier and healthier quality of life for people in their later years.
- Lee JH, Shamanna RA, Fakouri NB, Kim EW, Kulikowicz T, Christiansen L, Croteau DL and Bohr VA. CDK2 phosphorylation of Werner protein (WRN) contributes to WRN’s DNA repair pathway choice. Aging Cell. 2021 Nov;20(11):e13484.
- Yang B, Dan X, Hou Y, Lee JH, Wechter N, Krishnamurthy S, Kimura R, Babbar M, Demarest TG, McDevitt R, Zhang S, Zhang Y, Mattson MP, Croteau DL, and Bohr VA. NAD+ supplementation prevents STING-induced senescence in ataxia telangiectasia by improving mitophagy. Aging Cell. 2021 Mar 18;e13329.
- Lee JH, Kim EW, Croteau DL and Bohr VA. Epigenetics: Heterochromatin-point of view in aging. Exp Mol Med. Epub 2020 Sep 4;52(9):1466-1474.
- Okur MN, Lee JH, Osmani W, Kimura R, Demarest TG, Croteau DL and Bohr VA. Cockayne syndrome group A and B proteins function in rRNA transcription through nucleolin regulation. Nucleic Acids Res. 2020 Jan 23. pii: gkz1242.
- Fang EF, Hou Y, Jensen MB, Yang B, Kassahun H, Caponio D, Khezri R, Demarest TG, Figueroa D, Morevati M, Lee HJ, Kato H, SenGupta T, Lee JH, Filippelli D, Okur MN, Mangerich A, Croteau DL, Maezawa Y, Lyssiotis CA, Tao J, Yokote K, Rusten TE, Mattson MP, Jasper H, Nilsen H and Bohr VA. NAD+ restoration enhances mitochondrial quality and mitophagy and inhibits accelerated aging in Werner syndrome. Nature Comm. 2019 Nov 21;10(1):5284
- Lee JH, Demarest TG, Babbar M, Kim EW, Okur MN, De S, Croteau DL and Bohr VA. Cockayne syndrome group B deficiency reduces H3K9me3 chromatin remodeler SETDB1 and exacerbates cellular aging. Nucleic Acids Res. 2019 Jul 05;47(16):8548-8562.
- Kwak S, Kim TW, Kang BH, Kim JH, Lee JS, Lee HT, Hwang IY, Shin J, Lee JH, Cho EJ and Youn HD. Zinc Finger Proteins Orchestrate Active Gene Silencing during Embryonic Stem Cell Differentiation. Nucleic Acids Res. 2018 Jul 27;46(13):6592-6607.
- Shamanna RA, Croteau DL, Lee JH and Bohr VA. Recent Advances in Understanding Werner Syndrome. F1000Research 2017, Sep 28;6:1779.
- Han J, Lee JH, Park S, Yoon S, Yoon A, Hwang DB, Lee HK, Kim MS, Lee Y, Yang WJ, Youn HD, Kim H and Chung J. A phosphorylation pattern-recognizing antibody specifically reacts to RNA polymerase II bound to exons. Exp Mol Med. 2016 Nov 18;48(11):e271.
- Lee JH, Kang BH, Jang H, Kim TW, Choi J, Kwak S, Han J, Cho EJ and Youn HD. AKT phosphorylates H3-threonine 45 to facilitate termination of gene transcription in response to DNA damage. Nucleic Acids Res. 2015 May 19;43(9):4505-16.
- Lee JH, Jang H, Lee SM, Lee JE, Choi J, Kim TW, Cho EJ and Youn HD. ATP-citrate lyase regulates cellular senescence via an AMPK- and p53-dependent pathway. FEBS J. 2015 Jan;282(2):361-71.
Click here to see the full list of Dr. Lee’s work.