Linkage with Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program at Agnes Scott College
Through a partnership with the Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program at Agnes Scott College (ASC), Decatur, GA, Mercer University School of Medicine (MUSM) offers a Linkage Program for admission to the M.D. Program at MUSM.
To be eligible to apply, an applicant to this Linkage Program must:
The applicant must be a US Citizen or US Permanent Resident.
The applicant must have established domicile in the state of Georgia at least by August 15, 2017 and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the first day of classes of the school term for which he or she is applying.
Have earned a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited higher education institution with at least 90 credit hours of coursework
- Enroll in the ASC Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical program on a schedule that allows for completion of all prerequisite courses at ASC by the end of the following spring semester (i.e., by May of the intended year of matriculation.)
- Submit a Primary Application via AMCAS to Mercer University School of Medicine (Program Type: Early Assurance) by the deadline specified below, after initially being preapproved for this track by Mercer University School of Medicine Admissions Office (see Steps below).
- Have at least 2 letters of reference submitted via AMCAS Letter Writer Service. At least one of these letters must be from a science faculty member that taught this applicant in college.
Steps in the application process for applicants meeting Eligibility Criteria listed above:
1. Applicant sets up an AAMC account. Applicant provides Legal Name, AAMC ID, Date of Birth and e-mail address to the Director of the Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program at Agnes Scott College expressing intent to apply to the M.D program at MUSM under this Linkage Program.
2. Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Med Program at Agnes Scott College passes this information to firstname.lastname@example.org verifying that those intending to apply are enrolled in the Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Med Program at Agnes Scott College.
3. MUSM Admissions Office preapproves applicants for the Early Assurance Track and notifies each applicant and the Director of the Post-Bacc Pre-Med Program of this preapproval.
4. Applicant then goes to complete the Primary AMCAS Application and selects Early Assurance Program Type (not Regular Pool) and selects Mercer University School of Medicine. The deadline for submission of Primary AMCAS application and transcripts of prior undergraduate work is August 18, 2017 (for application for the 2018 AMCAS Application Year; i.e., 2017-18 admissions cycle). The deadline for arranging transcripts of all post-secondary coursework to reach AMCAS is September 1, 2017.
5. Once Primary Applications are annotated as Verified by AMCAS and passed to MUSM Admissions Office, MUSM Admissions Office will send by e-mail an invitation to submit an online Secondary Application. The deadline for completing Secondary Application online and submitting notarized declaration of GA residency is 5:00 PM ET October 2, 2017. The fee for submitting a Secondary Application is 90 US dollars and can be paid online, and is nonrefundable.
6. Applicants will be directly notified by e-mail when their file is complete and eligible for screening by the Admissions Committee.
7. Mercer University School of Medicine Admissions Committee screens applications before a decision to invite applicants to interview is made. Applicants with a good undergraduate record and who have not already taken any pre-requisities will be viewed as though they are academically qualified. An interview invitation is not guaranteed.
8. If an applicant is invited to an interview, the applicant will be notified directly by e-mail by 5:00 PM October 6, 2017. Applicants that do not receive an invitation to interview by this time can assume they are no longer under consideration by the Admissions Committee for the 2017-18 application cycle.
9. For those invited to an interview, the interview day is October 12, 2017, MUSM - Macon Campus, 1550 College St, Macon, GA 31207 (Venue: Medical Education Building)
At the time of the interview, applicants with a good undergraduate record (and those who already have not taken any pre-requisites) will be viewed as though they are academically qualified and the interview will focus on the applicant's work, volunteer and service experiences, personal characteristics, motivation to pursue medicine, goals, and long-term plans in reference to MUSM's mission. However, applicants may not be rated at the time of the interview as academically qualified if they have a sub-par undergraduate academic record, and have taken one or more of the pre-requisite courses as part of undergraduate coursework.
10. MUSM will notify the applicant by November 15, 2017 if or not he/she has been offered conditional acceptance into the next incoming M.D. class at MUSM through this Linkage Program. Applicants the committee decides to not offer early assurance of acceptance will also be notified by November 15, 2017.
Eventual acceptance is contingent upon the applicant:
- Maintaining a cumulative overall grade point average of 3.50 or greater (A = 4.00) at ASC with no individual grade of less than a "C" (a "C-" is less than a "C") in any course and without repeating any ASC courses; and
- Completing all prerequisite science courses required by MUSM: two (2) semesters each of General Chemistry (with lab), Organic Chemistry (with lab), Biology (with lab), and Physics (with lab).
- Completing all additional coursework required for admission to MUSM, if it was not completed as part of the bachelor's degree*; and
- Complete all ASC Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program requirements published in the most recent ASC catalog by May of the intended year of matriculation in the MD program
- Taking the MCAT only once in time to allow MUSM to receive MCAT scores no later than June 20th of the expected year of matriculation, and receiving a total percentile rank of 67 or better in this attempt.
- Receiving the endorsement of the applicant's candidacy to MUSM M.D. program by ASC's Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program
- Being able to meet the Technical Standards for Admission to the MD program as required by MUSM
- Completing and providing all necessary forms and documents required by MUSM to make its decision; and
- Passing the Criminal Background Check (facilitated by AMCAS, and undertaken by Certiphi Screening Inc.,).
- Maintaining domicile in GA and providing documentation of domicile in GA.
Notes on Processing Site Preference Requests: Campus preference request will be processed only after applicants are fully accepted (available choices will most likely be either Macon Campus for the first 2 years and the Columbus campus for Years 3 and 4), or the Savannah Campus for Years 1 and 2 and the Columbus Campus for Years 3 and 4.
Application and Acceptance Statistics for applicants to this Linkage Program over the past 3 years:
2013-14 Admissions Cycle: Applications - 16; Conditional Acceptance - 7; Matriculated - 4
2014-15 Admissions Cycle: Applications - 4; Interviewed - 4; Conditional Acceptance - 1; Matriculated - 1
2015-16 Admissions Cycle: Applications - 7; Interviewed - 7; Conditional Acceptance - 5; Matriculated - 1
2016-17 Admissions Cycle: Applications - 8; Interviewed - 8; Conditional Acceptance - 6; Matriculated - 2
If you have further questions, please contact email@example.com with ASC Post-Baccalaureate Linkage Program in the Subject Line.